From Santa Barbara to Milwaukee to Westchester, Volunteers Make Time for Those in Need
WALTHAM, MA — April 18, 2014 – From one week to the next, volunteers participating in Footwear Cares® are putting aside their day jobs and outside interests to support local charities and citizens in need throughout the US. National Footwear Cares Month, spearheaded by the shoe industry’s national charitable organization, Two Ten Footwear Foundation and the event’s title sponsor, Amazon Fashion, has united more than 100 shoe companies and 6,500 volunteers to work together in support of non-profit organizations in 22 states across the country.
“Footwear Cares is the shoe industry’s simple way of saying ‘thank you’ to the hundreds of communities across the country that goes to bat for shoe people every day of the year,” said Neal Newman, president of Two Ten Footwear Foundation. “As each week of the campaign goes by, I am more and more awestruck by the generosity our volunteers, many of whom are giving up their weekends to lend a hand at food banks, to pick up debris along roadsides, and pack bundles of clothes for kids.”
A sampling of Footwear Cares activities during the second week of the campaign includes the following:
• At SOME (So Others Might Eat) in Washington, D.C., volunteers served lunch to 400 homeless people
• A separate group of volunteers planted 250 trees at Stroud Water Research Park in Avondale, Penn.
• On the west coast at the Santa Barbara Food Bank, volunteers packed 6,540 pounds of food, enough for 8,502 meals
• Back on the east coast, volunteers working at the Food Bank of Westchester packed 3,250 pounds of pasta, equivalent to 4,225 meals, and
• At the Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee, volunteers built 1,200 stock boxes for low-income seniors.
About Two Ten Footwear Foundation During 2014, Two Ten is proudly celebrating its 75th anniversary as the footwear industry’s national charitable foundation — the only foundation of its kind in the United States. Two Ten is committed to strengthening America’s footwear community by providing emergency financial assistance at times of crisis; college scholarships for footwear employees and their families; community building opportunities; career affinity group networking; and other social and career services. For more information about Footwear Cares and Two Ten Footwear Foundation, please visit www.twoten.org.