The COVID-19 pandemic presents unique challenges for all of us who are home bound and socially-distancing. However, this time also creates an opportunity to learn new skills for career development, personal satisfaction, and general well-being.
Major universities such as Harvard and Brown, in addition to online platforms like Coursera, are offering free courses in subject matters ranging from computer programming to the history of religion. For those of you finding yourself home-cooking now more than ever, organizations such as Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Cooking School are offering free online cooking lessons for beginner and experienced cooks alike, and Bridget Lancaster’s America’s Test Kitchen has one for kids. And, if you’ve always wanted to learn how to play an instrument but just haven’t had the time, there are free online music classes for you to choose from.
Here is a quick list of the top 5 site’s our Two Ten team recommends:
- Harvard’s free online courses These classes are perfect for career development and curiosity seekers alike. With some of the best professors in the world teaching, the offerings are a real bargain!
- Free piano lessons at Skoove Skoove features an easy-to-download app with interactive scores, videos demonstrating proper technique, and one-on-one online support. The first 25 classes are free for beginners, which gives you time to learn and develop the basics.
- Free guitar lessons at Justin Guitar If you’ve ever dreamt of learning guitar from a guitar master with a charming British accent, this course is for you! Justin gives his students structure with a complete schedule telling you what to practice and for how long. He teaches fundamentals such as guitar buying, tuning, music-reading, and learning the major chords.
- Free cooking lessons at Milk Street Cooking School Whether you’re looking to change-up your daily meals, or learn basic techniques, Milk Street Cooking School has got you covered. Milk Street has classes on improvising with what you have in your pantry, vegetarian recipes and how to master easy steps to creating delicious flavor, for all skill levels.
- BBC Food BBC Food is our go-to guide for doing the basics right – mashing potatoes, baking chocolate chip cookies, sharpening knives, and even cutting calories: it’s all there in easily digestible, short videos.